Sorry, Mr. President, we are not taking the bait! Your latest executive order is a phony deal.
You need to stop using immigrants as a foil yet again to distract the American people. This is exactly what you are doing with his latest executive order halting immigration to America for 60 days. Your own Immigration Service doesn’t even know what the order actually means and who it might cover.
You claim you’re halting immigration to help fight the COVID-19 virus. But you’re the same president who proposes medical guidelines to fight the virus while at the same time you encourage people to resist those guidelines.
Finally, you claim this executive order will help workers. As a labor union we have to say you’re dead wrong. You’re not helping workers with this. This executive order is a distraction. But we are not falling for it.
President Trump, if you want to help working people in this country you and Congress need to step up and focus on five things:
- You need to protect and expand health insurance for all workers;
- You need to keep all front-line workers safe and secure;
- You need to keep workers employed and protect earned pension checks;
- You need keep our state and local governments, our public schools and the U.S. Postal Service solvent and working;
- You need to keep America competitive- hire people now to build infrastructure.
Five priorities, Mr. President. If you are serious about helping workers, spend your time getting these five priorities accomplished now. This where our Union is focused. This is where working people are focused. And all your distractions only strengthen our focus.