For immediate release
February 6, 2012
(Atlantic City, NJ) Members of UNITE HERE Local 54, the Atlantic City casino workers’ union, voted overwhelmingly to approve a new three-year contract with Golden Nugget Atlantic City. The new contract covers almost 600 cooks, housekeepers, bartenders, cocktail servers and other service workers.
"This is the first contract that we have negotiated with the new owners at Golden Nugget. We’re glad to see that Golden Nugget, a new company here in Atlantic City, understands that all Atlantic City casinos have to live up to the promise of good jobs. We look forward to working with Golden Nugget in the future," said Bob McDevitt, president of the 14,000 member union.
The contract is materially similar to the contract with the Caesars and Trump properties ratified in November. The contract at the Borgata expires in 2012.
The contract includes:
- A continuation of free family health care
- A continuation of an employer-sponsored defined benefit pension.
- Wage increases for all employees at least once over the course of the contract with additional wage increases triggered on company revenue increases.
- Protections in the event of a property closure.
The contract also contains some provisions designed to help Golden Nugget remain competitive in the current market, including:
- Holiday pay only for holidays worked.
- Reduction of vacation pay.