America faces crises on three critical fronts: a public health pandemic, an economic free fall and long-standing structural racism. As America’s labor movement, we must urgently address all three with precision and purpose. That’s why UNITE HERE is joining other unions and the AFL-CIO in calling on Congress to pass a recovery package to help families sustain themselves through this crisis.
- Keep America healthy—protect and expand health insurance for all workers.
- Keep front-line workers safe and secure.
- Keep workers employed, extend benefits for the unemployed and protect earned pension checks.
- Keep public schools going, the Postal Service solvent, state and local governments running.
- Keep America competitive—hire people to build infrastructure.
While all working families will be uplifted by this platform, our research shows that families of color and Black communities in particular have the most at stake in the adoption of this agenda. Less than half of Black adults now have a job. Unemployment rate for Black people in the U.S. is almost twice as high as for white people.1 By one measure, Black women have faced the single largest drop in employment.2
We need to make sure that the Senate moves swiftly to prevent millions of Americans from losing health care and enhanced unemployment benefits, and from having to return to jobs that put their lives and their families lives at risk. Join us in calling on the Senate to act now and pass the HEROES Act.
For more information, visit CongressActNow.org.