Prior to the pandemic, we made a commitment to build on proven GOTV successes in regions across North America because Donald Trump had failed us. As the pandemic spread,instead of supporting working people in the form of expanded unemployment benefits, protection of health insurance, and swift response to control spread of the virus, Trump and his cronies bailed out corporations.
UNITE HERE made a critical difference that helped drive the unprecedented turnout of the 2020 presidential election and the 2021 Georgia Senate races because we need people in power who are committed to working with us to make our workplaces better, protect our union health insurance, implement immigration reform, stand up to sexual harassment, and take meaningful, transformative steps to dismantle the scourge of systemic racism in our country.
As part of our Take Back 2020 campaign, 1,700 canvassers knocked on the doors of three million voters in Nevada, Arizona, Pennsylvania, and Florida. UNITE HERE continued this momentum with our Take Back the Senate campaign, where laid-off hospitality workers joined the team that turned Georgia blue to help deliver come-from-behind wins in the January 2021 Georgia Senate runoffs.
- 3 million doors were knocked by UNITE HERE canvassers in Nevada, Arizona, Pennsylvania, and Florida
- 462,135 infrequent voters pledged to vote for Biden/Harris via a conversation with a UNITE HERE canvasser
- Over two-thirds of our conversations were with voters of color
- 10 million phone numbers were dialed by UNITE HERE phone bankers
- 1.5 million doors were knocked by UNITE HERE canvassers in Georgia
- Each day union members had 15,000 face-to-face conversations with voters about the Senate runoffs
- UNITE HERE identified and made voting plans with 250,000 voters who supported Warnock/Ossoff