After over a year of bargaining, Sky Chefs airline catering workers won an important new national contract! Under the terms of the new agreement, which was ratified by a 76% margin, the over 9,000 UNITE HERE Sky Chefs workers will receive:
- At least $1.10 per hour in raises through 2018;
- At least one additional paid sick day each year;
- Better jackets and footwear for those of us working in very cold temperatures;
- Stronger language to move grievances and limit the use of part-timers;
- Sky Chefs workers in California will move to a UNITE HERE Health plan as a first step towards better and affordable health care for all.
The new contract was a result of organizing efforts from UNITE HERE locals across the country, including in-kitchen actions, rallies, delegations and a large civil disobedience action in Washington, D.C. More than 30 union committee leaders from Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Orlando, Philadelphia, Portland, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. traveled for negotiations.
The “Nickel a Ticket” campaign for justice and respect for all airline catering workers will continue, as we maintain pressure on both the airlines and the catering companies to do the right thing for all airline catering workers!